Prince Alfreds Pass
Thomas Bain began the building of this historic pass in 1860 as an access way between the Langkloof and Knysna. The drystone retaining walls built by the convict labourers can still be seen supporting the twisting gravel road. 'Tiekeliefie’ ridge is where the convicts were finally given their ‘ticket of leave’ in 1867. The road turns beneath sharp hanging crags of sandstone, tiny succulents and lichens cling to the cliff edges and waterfalls gush through the ravine.